Chapter Bulletin is a monthly publication of The Wisconsin Credit
Union League (Communications Department) published September through April.
Chapter leaders and League directors receive Chapter Bulletin to assist
with announcements at monthly chapter meetings. Please encourage your chapter's Young Professional Liaison, if you have one, to deliver the last announcements listed as YP items.
* Education/event details, registration info or email changes - Judy Phillips (262) 408-6020
* Editorial assistance - Christine Henzig (262) 408-6019
Credit unions win big on federal tax status and state regulatory reform
Wisconsin credit unions achieved two important wins this February. While Activists were in Washington, D.C. for the CUNA Governmental Affairs Conference, the House Ways & Means Committee released its draft of federal tax reform protecting credit unions’ tax status. And while it appears unlikely that tax reform will proceed this year, this is a crucial victory in that this may be the starting point for future tax reform efforts. Just two weeks beforehand, hours before the state Government Affairs Conference, the state legislature passed the largest state regulatory reform package in more than a decade. The legislation updates 12 of 20 sections of state Administrative Code governing credit unions. These successes are thanks to Wisconsin's state and federal legislators and the efforts of credit unions and their members. Use the League’s sample newsletter article to thank your members for their advocacy and order additional copies of the Scorecard to showcase the value credit unions provide members and communities.
Wisconsin Activists made a strong showing in Washington, D.C.
Wisconsin had a strong showing of Activist participation at CUNA’s February Governmental Affairs Conference. Nearly 60 advocates participated, showing Congress that we are attentive and engaged on top issues including taxation, member business lending, housing finance reform, data security and more. There were also Wisconsin attendees in notable roles there including:
- The League's VP of Government Affairs Tom Liebe moderated a panel discussion on an engaged credit union board and their role in advocacy. John Sackett, a Board member for Royal Credit Union and Chair of CUNA's Volunteer Leadership Committee, served as a panelist.
- Wisconsin's Young Professional Nathan Lang of Thrivent Financial CU participated in exclusive sessions for young professionals as the YP chosen from our state to Crash the GAC.
- Former CUNA Board Chair and Central City Credit Union CEO Pat Wesenberg addressed a general assembly about the efforts of credit unions nationwide to advance the action steps in the Unite for Good growth strategy.
- Pat Wesenberg and Phil Hellmuth, UW Credit Union's long-time director and leader for CUNA Management School, were inducted into the Credit Union House Hall of Leaders.
- League President & CEO Brett Thompson was honored with the Farley Award, given by the American Association of Credit Union Leagues, for his visionary leadership at the state and national levels including pioneering the Wisconsin REAL Solutions program and efforts to increase youth financial education and credit union awareness.
Two League directors re-elected, new director added
Wisconsin credit unions have spoken, re-electing two representatives and adding a third to the League Board of Directors. Jennifer Schilling of Empower Credit Union and Mike Mallow of Sheboygan Area Credit Union have been re-elected in Regions 3 and 5, respectively, and Jack Peplinski of Altra Federal Credit Union has been elected to represent credit unions in Region 1. Their terms begin in May. Congratulations!
Add as much as 20 cents per member simply by offering wireless discounts
It's projected your credit union could gain as much as 20 cents per member in non-interest income for 2014 on your entire membership base, thanks to the Invest in America program offered through the League Services Corp. The Sprint program gives you this income potential simply by offering member discounts on wireless plans. You receive free marketing materials, while Sprint handles member service. Watch the video for more details and contact Ben Schweder at (262) 408-6026.
League Convention in Milwaukee celebrates Fostering Service Excellence
Reserve your room for The League’s 80th annual Convention, May 7-10 at the Wisconsin Center/Hilton in Milwaukee. Our theme is Fostering Service Excellence. Visit theleague.coop/convention2014 for all the details, including these highlights:
- Inspiration from Gigi Hyland of the National Credit Union Foundation, explaining how to use service excellence for good, and a talk on service excellence in community outreach by Green Bay Packer Randall Cobb.
- Vision from CU Magazine Rock Star Patrick Adams as our event emcee, Andy Janning's insights on building strong leadership teams, entrepreneur Mike Michalowicz's blueprint for explosive growth through service, and past convention favorite Salim Ismail's forecast on technology changes affecting credit unions.
- Best practices for directors, executives, young professionals, marketers and lenders. They'll touch on transforming service to sales, data breaches, The Bank Secrecy Act, exam preparation, building a leadership dashboard, understanding new consumer behavior and much more.
- Opportunity through a peer networking lunch, a general session on being the World's Best You, interaction with more than 90 CU business partners and exclusive sessions to help fuel Young Professionals' careers.
- Fun with peers including golf at Ironwood in Sussex, an opening night reception, a Friday evening Brewers game at Miller Park featuring a party on the Dew Deck, & a service project showcasing credit union spirit.
Early 2014 Roundtables offer invaluable networking, practical knowledge
Mark your calendars now! The peer networking, combined with the chance to ask questions and trade ideas on practical aspects of your workload, make League roundtables some of our most popular events! Plan to attend the Small Credit Union CEO Roundtable, March 12 in Wisconsin Dells, the Compliance Roundtable March 20 in the Dells, and the Collections Roundtable April 10 in Appleton. To register, contact Judy Phillips at (262) 408-6020.
Participate in a Tweet Chat
Join The League on the third Tuesday of each month at 11 a.m. for #WICUchat, a conversation on Twitter that addresses CU-industry topics. Our chat schedule includes effective communication on March 18. See the directions and full schedule at www.theleague.coop/tweet.
YP announcements (for YP Liaisons)
Help students and teachers get involved in Brass' financial literacy social media contest
As part of #brassmoneymonth, during each week in April, students and teachers will be encouraged to take pictures featuring different financial topics and posting them to Instagram for the chance to win prizes. Credit unions, encourage classrooms to get all the details at brassmedia.com/brassmoneymonth.
Save the date for a free YP Boot Camp in Eau Claire March 27
Young Professionals age 35 and younger will gather at Royal Credit Union in Eau Claire to network with peers, learn more about the credit union system and gain best practices to benefit their credit union. The event is free, and will highlight effective outreach for credit union growth. Visit wisconsinypnetwork.org (events) for details and to register.
Energize your financial education efforts in April.
April is recognized as financial literacy month, so The League encourages you to: