Recent rule changes have expanded rollover opportunities under certain
circumstances but have limited rollover opportunities under other scenarios.
Changes bring opportunities to financial institutions that understand how to
navigate and properly handle IRA rollovers and transfers. After this session,
you will know how IRA owners and beneficiaries may move assets between IRA
plans, and between employer retirement plans and IRA plans. Be prepared the next
time an IRA owner requests a rollover or transfer.
- Responsibilities for processing and reporting rollovers versus transfer
- Differences between employer plan-to-IRA rollovers versus
- Difference between direct and indirect IRA rollovers
- Guidance on the 60-day and once-every-12-months rollover rules
IRA owners may receive an automatic extension of the 60-day rollover period
through the self-certification process
- Scenarios where the
once-every-12-months rule does not apply
- How to properly handle, title,
and report beneficiary rollovers from employer plans
- Handling IRA-to-IRA
- Sample rollover forms and quick reference charts
Frank J. LaLoggia, LaLoggia Consulting, Inc.