Wisconsin: Global Hub for Credit Unions
The confederated global credit union system is headquartered right here in Wisconsin! Together, we employ approximately 10,000 hardworking citizens and collaborate to help empower people through access to high quality and affordable financial services.
177 credit unions
||The state’s not-for-profit financial cooperatives provide safe and sound financial services and prioritize the needs of their members and communities by:
- saving consumers over $1 billion dollars since the start of the recession in 2007
- providing $2.4 billion in loans to mainstreet businesses with an average loan of just $177,000 and
- offering students hands-on financial education through 100 in-school branches.
Credit Union National Association (CUNA)
||Based in Madison and Washington, D.C., CUNA is the not-for-profit national trade association that serves America's 6,950 credit unions. CUNA, in cooperation with state leagues and credit unions:
- tracks and impacts laws affecting operations and members,
- facilitates discussion and provides credit union input to regulators and
- develops resources on the changing regulatory and legislative environments and market forces.
World Council of Credit Unions
||World Council, headquarted in Madison, is the global trade association and development agency for credit unions that promotes the sustainable development of credit unions and other financial cooperatives through:
- advocating before international organizations
- working with national governments to improve legislation and regulation and
- offering tools and technologies to strengthen credit unions' financial performance and increase their outreach.
CUNA Mutual Group
||CUNA Mutual Group, based in Madison’s west side, is a mutual insurance company that provides financial services to credit unions, their members and valued customers worldwide including:
- insurance and protection for credit unions and members,
- lending solutions and marketing programs,
- retirement planning services for credit unions and small businesses and
- crop insurance for America’s farmers
Filene Research Institute
||This nonprofit, independent, think and do tank, based in downtown Madison, makes sustainable solutions for credit unions and their consumers on topics including:
- managerial problems,
- public policy questions and
- consumer needs affecting the consumer finance industry.
Find more information online!
View our Scorecard, which details how credit unions deliver value to their members.