UW Credit Union is hiring a Director of Member Service Operations to join its team! This solutions oriented thinker is responsible for leadership in the implementation and optimization of technology systems, hardware/equipment and business processes used primarily within our branch network. This individual analyzes business systems and operations to recommend and implement sustainable solutions that strengthen performance, improve the member and employee experience, and achieve high levels of stakeholder engagement. Utilizing a collaborative approach, this individual is accountable for the development, organizational awareness, and execution of the member service operations strategic roadmap and annual business plans in support of organization, division, and business partner goals. As a champion of inclusive leadership, this individual ensures equitable access to professional opportunities and attract, retain and bring out the best performance of our diverse workforce. This individual is a member of the credit union Leadership Team and works collaboratively across functional lines to advance member service operations initiatives. From our award-winning culture to intuitive, easy to use systems, we have grown to become one of Wisconsin’s top financial institutions with over 280,000 members and $3.5 billion in assets. UW Credit Union is a federally insured, member-owned, not-for-profit financial institution committed to the financial well-being of our members. You are a natural persuader, an advocator for inclusive and progressive change, and one that thrives in collaborative environments. If you have lived experiences as an outsider or can closely relate to it then we want you as an insider!
Member Service Operations Strategy (20%)
- Develop and create organization-wide synergy and engagement of a Member Service Operations strategic roadmap. Prioritize and execute an annual business plans that aligns with the roadmap strategies.
- Leverage diversity, equitable access, and inclusive business practices as a strategic differentiator for UW Credit Union with our membership and employee groups.
- Act as a visionary, looking to the future and anticipating changes that lie ahead for any factors affecting member service operations offerings. Anticipate the impact of emerging technologies and adjust, educate others within the organization on emerging trends, and make recommendations as appropriate.
- Discern and maintain a keen focus on the member and employee experience within a retail branch environment and within support departments that utilize shared systems and business processes. Influence and gain stakeholder buy-in on the development and prioritization of projects and initiatives that enhance the member and employee experience to achieve a high degree of sales and service effectiveness.
- Understand the meaning and implications of key Member Sales & Service, employee engagement and financial indicators and their impact on our business model, turning insight into action that produces improved results.
- Develop and execute on department, division and organization goals that strategically enhance the credit union’s competitiveness with industry trends and new technologies in the marketplace. Be able to translate these goals back to activities within Member Service Operations.
- Develop and maintain a high degree of awareness of emerging technologies, peer group and industry trends and vendor applications in the marketplace with a critical eye for opportunities to introduce them within our member service operations.
- Responsible for continual innovation of member service operations while working with other senior leaders to assure consistency and uniformity across delivery channels: branch, phone, and digital.
Business Analysis and Internal Consulting for Results (25%)
Utilize a consistent consulting framework to work in strategic partnership with the Member Sales & Service division and other Member Solutions Team business partners, ensuring these stakeholders have comfort and confidence in the approach.
- With internal business partners, conduct review and analysis of the member and employee experience with systems, technologies, and business practices according to agreed upon priorities within the strategic roadmap and annual business plans.
- Meet with stakeholders to elicit and document needs, expectations, constraints and process/system interfaces using various methods (e.g., brainstorming, document analysis, facilitated meetings, focus groups, interviews, observation, prototyping, requirements workshops, reverse engineering, survey questionnaire).
- Ask high-impact, high-value questions to assess, analyze and diagnose gaps in business performance, building consensus among the stakeholder group regarding the true business issue and requirements.
Provide recommendations for improved operational performance within the Member Sales and Service division and other areas of the credit union as appropriate.
- Apply proven change management and employee engagement methods to build sustainable change inside the organization, serving as a change agent, coach, educator and/or facilitator on focused engagements with internal business partners.
Member Services Operational Excellence (25%)
- Communicate, monitor, and evaluate member service operations with a critical eye to improve efficiency, expand productive capacity and strengthen sales/service effectiveness within the member sales and service division and other departments with shared business processes.
- Maintain a high degree of operational integrity by working with internal business partners to institute systems and processes that ensure all staff understand and consistently adhere to policies and procedures.
- Stay current with risk management and security concerns related to member service operations to circumvent potential issues.
- Provide leadership and guidance on compliance and audit related activities and ensure necessary actions are taken to meet compliance and audit requirements.
- Develop and maintain strong and productive relationships with peers in the financial services industry and with marketplace vendors to remain abreast of best practices, emerging business opportunities and for comparative benchmarking purposes.
- Utilize knowledge of industry trends, organizational needs and vendor offerings to make critical business decisions on vendor selection and to negotiate contract agreements, including risk mitigation strategies, establishing service levels and reporting requirements
- Ensure contract terms are being met and perform periodic vendor due diligence to insure credit union interests are well-represented and appropriately addressed.
Seek to expand the awareness and appropriate usage of vendor resources, products and service offerings among credit union departments to improve effectiveness and efficiency.
Cross-Functional Project Leadership (20%)
Develop and maintain strong, productive, and high-trust relationships with internal business partners and employees within these reporting groups. Collaborate and design partnership agreements to create alignment and clear roles and responsibilities.
- Collaborate with internal partners to enhance and develop solutions that optimize the member experience, the employee experience, and organizational performance across delivery channels.
Serve as a subject matter expert on business initiative projects and ensure the effective coordination of resources across credit union business units.
- Provide leadership to others in the organization as appropriate, fostering high engagement in member service operations initiatives and teamwork to achieve member sales and service excellence.
- As a member of the Leadership Team participate in strategic planning, annual improvement plans and CU-wide budgeting and resource allocation. Participate in strategic projects and initiatives across functional and organizational lines.
- Assist in representing the division or department in organization training programs and events.
Leadership Expectations (10%)
- Work with HROD and senior management to select and retain highly engaged employees.
- Interpret and communicate organizational purpose, critical measures, strategies and progress as it relates to the department and individual team member goals and success. Cascade information.
- Provide open and transparent communication with team members and departments across the organization.
- Responsible for developing a staff of highly engaged employees as measured by employee engagement surveys.
- Provide broad based recognition by recognizing positive behaviors, achievements, and results exhibited by team members and staff at all levels of the organization in a consistent and professional manner.
- Review and communicate performance standards and expectations of team members as often as necessary to ensure accountability and effective execution.
- Actively role model behaviors necessary to achieve goals.
- Possess a commitment to the excellence of others through actions that support the growth and development that optimizes the talent of individual team members.
- Provide timely, ongoing and consistent direction, performance coaching and honest feedback through dialogs, mid- year snapshots, year-end appraisals and informal in-the-moment coaching.
- Maintain accurate, timely and transparent information regarding employee performance. Examples include, updating time and attendance information as required, dialogs, performance journals, and documented disciplinary actions and action plans as necessary.
- Utilize progressive discipline practices to address sub-standard performance in a timely manner and carry out with dignity and respect.
- Invite and accept feedback and provide upward feedback.
- Responsible for own continual individual self-development and improvement of UWCU’s Leadership Success Criteria.
- 10+ years Financial Services, or related industry experience.
- Bachelor’s degree required, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Master of Business Administration preferred.
- Well informed and well along on the Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) journey.
- Highly innovative, creative, and able to articulate strategic direction.
Expertise in research, analysis, problem solving, project management and delivery of member service operations solutions.
- Facilitative leadership approach to develop solutions that improve business performance and consider the relationship of people, process and technology.
- Partner to target talent early, build robust succession plan and foster leadership development efforts to cultivate a diverse workforce and Leadership pipeline.
- Demonstrate knowledge and passion for technology, automation, and process improvement and the role people play in adapting, adopting and optimizing these solutions.
- Knowledge of State and Federal compliance regulations applicable within the financial services industry
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills as demonstrated by the ability to write clear, concise documentation, memos and email, and facilitate staff meetings and give presentations.
- Demonstrated ability to build productive relationships and display a high degree of emotional intelligence.
- Ability to effectively influence others without direct authority or supervisory responsibility.
About the Organization
UW Credit Union is a federally insured financial institution and a leading provider of a full range of consumer financial services. UW Credit Union serves the needs of more than 270,000 members, from lending and savings to checking and investments, through world-class technology systems, and a network of 28 branch locations. UW Credit Union operates as a not-for-profit, member-owned financial cooperative serving University of Wisconsin communities in the Madison, Milwaukee, Stevens Point, Green Bay, Oshkosh, Whitewater, and La Crosse areas.
How to Apply
University of Wisconsin Credit Union