As non-profit cooperatives that put people before profit, Wisconsin's credit unions are uniquely equipped to give back to their communities. This has been especially important throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, where credit unions across the state have supported community partners with over $2 million in cash contributions and counting.
Below are just some examples of how Wisconsin's credit unions have provided assistance to those who are currently experiencing hardship in their communities, from helping put food on the table, to keeping main street alive, to helping our frontline workers, and more.
Supporting Food Pantries
- Dane County Credit Union donated to Allied Food Pantry & River Food Pantry.
- Firefighters Credit Union doubled donations to the Hunger Task Force of La Crosse up to $50,000.
- Fort Community Credit Union donated $20,000 to support area food pantries.
- Greater Fox Cities Chapter of Credit Unions raised $42,000 for Feeding America Eastern Wisconsin.
- PCM Credit Union donated $20,000 to food pantries, and staff provided nearly 40 Thanksgiving meals in the form of totes of non-perishable food items.
- TruStone Financial Credit Union's Foundation donated $4,000 to local food shelves.
- WESTconsin Credit Union donated $45,000 to area food banks.
Supporting Local Businesses
- Dane County Credit Union supported Dane Buy Local, Michael’s Frozen Custard, Delta Beer Lab, Java Cat, Finca Coffee, Tienda Los Gemelos, EL Sabor De Puebla, Kingdom, Naty’s Fast Food, La Taguara, El Jalapeno, Naples 15, Bear and Bottle, Cool Man LLC, Arandas Mexican Restaurant, and Taqueria Guadalajara.
- First Community Credit Union hosted a Local Gift Card giveaway to show support for local small businesses.
- N.E.W. Credit Union purchased over 500 small business gift cards in its community for a total of $5,000 to give out to members at random.
- Prospera Credit Union promoted local businesses on their social media channels.
- Shoreline Credit Union created a COVID-19 Relief Grant, designated to assist "non-essential" hometown businesses.
- Superior Choice Credit Union provided a $20,000 relief grant to local businesses.
- Unison Credit Union distributed $30,000 through their Small Business Grant Program to area businesses.
- Westby Co-op Credit Union dedicated $200,000 towards purchasing gift cards from local member businesses that were mailed randomly to members.
Supporting the Frontline
- Greater Fox Cities Chapter of Credit Unions & participating credit unions (Badger Globe, Capital, Community First, CONE, Evergreen, Fox Communities, Health Care, PCM, Prospera, Thrivent Federal, Unison, Verve, Winnebago Community and Wisconsin Medical) donated $20,000 to area hospitals for safety expenses related to the pandemic.
- PCM Credit Union donated over 500 meals to essential workers and thousands in medical equipment.
- Thrivent Federal Credit Union donated 2,500 N95 masks to Wisconsin Emergency Management.
Supporting Area Non-Profits & COVID-19 Relief Funds
- Altra Federal Credit Union donated $100,000 to various non-profit organizations in their core markets, including Wisconsin.
- Capital Credit Union donated $35,000 to non-profit organizations focused on diversity, poverty, and pandemic needs.
- Community First Credit Union awarded a $10,000 COVID-19 relief grant to The Fox Valley Humane Association.
- CoVantage Credit Union donated $100,000 to local COVID-19 relief efforts.
- Dane County Credit Union donated to Centro Hispano, Catholic Multicultural Center, The Road Home, Greater Madison Resource Center, Dane County Diaper Bank, Madison Virtual Tip Jar, Emergency Farmers' Relief Fund, Lighthouse Christian School, Grupo Cambiando Vidas, and Cook it Forward.
- Fox Communities Credit Union, through their Fox Cares Foundation, donated $35,000 to COVID-19 relief funds in their community.
- Landmark Credit Union donated $25,000 to United Way of Greater Milwaukee & Waukesha County’s COVID-19 Urgent Needs Fund.
- Marshfield Medical Center Credit Union donated $20,000 to area nonprofits.
- Park City Credit Union donated $20,000 to area nonprofits.
- PCM Credit Union donated $5,000 to Toys for Tots in honor of their Christmas Club members.
- Royal Credit Union donated $40,000 to community organizations in COVID-19 relief effort, and an additional $16,000 to those impacted by the pandemic.
- Simplicity Credit Union partnered with CoVantage Credit Union and donated $25,000 to United Way in their membership area.
- Tomah Area Credit Union donated $20,000 to assist local organizations.
- UW Credit Union donated $150,000 to support the relief efforts of United Way of Dane County and United Way of Greater Milwaukee & Waukesha County. They also raised an additional $10,000 for United Way through their "Jump Around" giveback campaign.
- Verve, a Credit Union allocated $50,000 to invest in area community foundations to help support the most vulnerable.
- Westby Co-op Credit Union donated $50,000 to local area non-profit organizations to assist during the pandemic.
Supporting the Unhoused & Affordable Housing
- Educators Credit Union donated $80,000 worth of backpacks and school supplies for homeless students in the Milwaukee Public Schools.
- PCM Credit Union donated $35,000 to seven area organizations that focus on shelter - NEWCAP, Ladder of Hope, St. Johns Homeless Shelter, Boys and Girls Club, Habitat for Humanity, Salvation Army, and NEW Community Shelter.
- UW Credit Union committed $1 million to the Dane Workforce Housing Fund, a project that intends to build 500 new, affordable workforce housing units in Dane County in the next three years.