In light of recent public attacks and threats to credit unions’ reputation and tax status, now is the time to be our own best advocates. We're asking all Wisconsin credit unions to use the sample materials we've provided to complete and/or continue important advocacy tasks by September 30.
Your League mailed an advocacy toolkit to credit union presidents in July. Let your CEO know you're on board! The kit includes:
- Advocacy Business Plan - a checklist of activities to complete
- Email/Newsletter Sample Text on Advocacy - information you can share with employees, directors and members about what we're doing and why
- Activist Information & Sign-Up Form - ways every employee can help
- Advocacy Army Information & Sign-Up Form - ways your board can lead
- Political Advocacy (Fundraising) Introduction - the basics on our primary vehicles to support credit union friendly candidates and legislators
- WCULAF Staff Fundraising Ideas -four simple ideas to keep credit union friendly legislators in office
- Project Zip Code Instructions - help us count members by legislative district, by Sept. 1
- Legislator Invitation Template & Addresses - we've made it simple to connect with lawmakers and/or candidates
- Legislator Meeting Guide - what to say when you're face-to-face
- Credit Union Fact Sheet Template - add your details and share with lawmakers
- REAL Solutions Introduction - examples of stories to share with legislators
- Social Media for Advocacy - a guide to effective posts and how to tag them
With legislators back in district running for re-election, we have an opportunity, NOW, to advocate face-to-face for the credit union difference and leave a lasting impression on the policymakers that represent your credit union & members.
The full Advocacy Toolkit is available at www.theleague.coop/AdvocacyToolkit.
If we don’t start the conversation about what we are, what we do, and who we serve – we leave the door open to our detractors to define what we stand for.
It’s time to drown out the misinformation ensure policymakers appreciate and preserve the Credit Union Difference.