Wisconsin credit unions are digging in to the Advocacy Toolkit we provided this summer to strengthen their relationships with the lawmakers whose decisions affect their operations and service. Let us know which of the important tasks you've completed by September 30.
We're hearing some great things from credit unions! Use our reporting form to tell us when you've added Activists, held fundraisers, added Activists to fundraising programs, invited legislators to meet with staff or take part in local events, customized our template fact sheet and/or collected and shared REAL Solutions® stories.
"It's important for The League to know which legislators have familiarity with credit unions and the Credit Union Difference as we head into the next legislative session," said League VP of Government Affairs Sarah Wainscott.
"Sharing what outreach and interactions you've had helps paint that picture," she said.
We've heard from:
Northern Paper Mills Credit Union
- held a spirit day in which employees donated to pro-CU allies in government
- invited Senator Dave Hansen (D-Green Bay) to its 85th Anniversary picnic
Royal Credit Union
- offered staff payroll deduction to help support credit union allies in government
- created a fact sheet about the credit union
- used an intranet page devoted to advocacy to feature stories and information
- identified events that could involve legislators
- shared a REAL Solutions® story with The League in a free, online commUNITY
Fox Communities Credit Union
- hosted a legislator meet & greet
- held a town hall meeting for employees that invited them to become Activists and join fundraising programs for CU allies in government
- shared REAL Solutions® stories
- targeted events for legislator attendance
Heartland Credit Union
- invited legislators to a member appreciation event at rural offices
- focused on building out an advocacy program with many of these options
Credit unions that updated their Project Zip Code data
We can count accurately the number of members by legislative district who belong to:
Credit union presidents received toolkit materials by mail, but it's also available online. Report your success at www.theleague.coop > Government Affairs > Activist Program.
The League and CUNA engage with credit union Activists in a 360-degree advocacy approach that helps credit unions positively shape their operating environment and remove barriers to serving members. Read more articles in our Unite for Good series.